My Daughter’s Birth

Glade’s Birth

My pregnancy was pretty normal. I was sick the entire time, I wasn’t able to take my prenatal vitamins, but I was healthy and happy and wasn’t ever really uncomfortable. At about 14 weeks my colostrum came in and I leaked everywhere (still do ha ha). At about 16 weeks, I started having Braxton Hicks contractions that went through the rest of my pregnancy. I actually felt those before I ever felt Glade move.

I had an ultrasound at 20 weeks (I wanted to wait as long as I could so the baby would be bigger.) We didn’t find out the sex, we loved the surprise, and we got to see how healthy and tiny she was. She moved like crazy, but I still didn’t feel anything.

About two days after the ultrasound, I felt her little foot kick me. It was so great! After that it became kind of repetitive, but it was nice to know she was still kicking strong. She would never kick for anyone but me, and if you put your hand on my belly, she would stop. It was pretty funny.

The rest of my pregnancy progressed pretty well. I never gained much weight inbetween visits, well, I never gained much weight period. I figured it was enough though. I always measured 2 cm small, but since it was always a consistant 2 cm, it was alright. All my tests were fine and everything was great.

We went to Vegas for a Warhammer tournament when i was 31 weeks pregnant. I was so sick the entire time I couldn’t eat a bite. The minute we got home I was fine, but that one weekend killed me. A couple weeks later (I was 33 weeks), we flew to Virginia for my dad’s retirement and I was great on the flight and had a blast.

My Braxton Hicks would always get stronger and closer together if I got hungry or didn’t eat every hour, and my mom, in an effort to fatten me up, kept me very well fed. Hooters does wonders people! I gained 6 pounds in the two weeks and it was the most I gained in the entire pregnancy at one time. My midwife was very pleased.

We got home and I started my weekly visits. They tested to see if Glade was head down, and it turned out she was Frank Breech. They ordered an ultrasound to see her size, the amount of fluid, and such to see if they could do an External Version. We had a consultation with a doctor about the Version, and he told us the statistics for what babies would have problems and assured us everything would go well.

We went in for the ultrasound, and it really hurt when the lady was pressing on my belly. Glade’s head was right under my rib cage, and when the woman would run the device over it, it would hurt so bad and I just wanted to cry.

We went in for the appointment after and found out my water was low, and Glade was weighing in at 4 lbs 3 oz. It didn’t seem real.

They put me on bed rest, I had to go on LOA from my job, and I was bored out of my mind in my horribly hot apartment.

I had to have 3 ultrasounds a week, along with fetal monitoring right after. They never found out why my waters were so low in that first ultrasound or why whe weighed so little, since in every ultrasound for the next week and a half the fluid was normal and she was weighing in from 5 1/2 to 6 lbs.

I went in at 36 weeks for a checkup and she was still butt-down so we decided to go through with the Version. We were scheduled to be at the hospital at 5 am for a 7 am Version the following Wednesday.

We got to the hospital after barely sleeping we were so nervous. We got ready for the Version (epidural put in, IV with medication to relax my uterus and keep my blood pressure up, the ultrasound machine to show the progress of the version, and blood taken in case of emergency c-section). I was ready for anything.

They performed the Version, and it didn’t hurt because of the epidural, but it was a lot of pressure, and I took it like a champ ;) . Afterward they left me to come off the epidural and Blake slept on the couch.

The second they left my labor started. An hour later they came back in and I was having panic attacks. My legs were still numb, but they kept jerking and the uterine medicatino made me anxious and scared. I finally calmed down enough to go back to sleep, but I had to keep an oxygen mask on to keep everything normal.

An hour after that, I was starting to feel my legs again and all of the sudden everything felt really wet. They hadn’t put a catheter in, but they weren’t sure if it was pee or it was my water breaking. They got the speculum, which I had heard horror stories about, but my nurse was so nice and helped prepare me for it. They also checked me and I was only 1-2 cm dialated. It turned out it wasn’t my water, so they helped me to the bathroom, and then they changed the bed for me.

I got back to bed and my contractions were about every 30-40 seconds. They weren’t very strong, but with the epidural still in, my back was killing me. I’m sure it didn’t help Glade was posterior. They asked if I was hungry (I hadn’t been able to eat since 10pm the night before in case of an emergency c-section), so I eagerly said yes. They never came back with my food, but at noon, my midwife and doctor came in and said they didn’t like how Glade’s heartbeat would slow down or stop with every contraction’s peak, so I was going for a C-Section.

I was okay with this since I didn’t research much on C-Sections and they had told me everything would be fine if she was born at 37 weeks. And my mom had had C-sections with me and my brother, so it couldn’t be that bad, right?

They wheeled me into the OR, and as they went they kept putting more epidural solution into my catheter because it wasn’t working fight. Only one half of my body would go numb at a time. So, they kept poking my legs with pins to see if anything was numb, and right before they cut me, they checked and Blake turns to the anesthesiologist and asks, “Can she feel that?” The anesthesiologist said back, “If she could feel that, she wouldn’t be on the table right now.” I guess that had just cut me ha ha.

Glade was born at 1:41 pm on July 18, 2007. I lied there, strapped to the table waiting to hear my baby’s cry. It came about two minutes later, but only lasted a few seconds. Then just silence. They knocked me out fast, and Blake carried her to the nursery where they immediately put her on oxygen and a sugar water IV (which is the only food she had for 4 days), then cleaned her up.

I woke up in recovery, and my only thought was “I should ask about my baby since I’m a mom now.”  I tried to ask, but they saw I was awake and they put me out again.

I was taken back to my room and slept for most of the day. They brought me a picture of her and she was adorable. At a little after 8 pm, I was able to talk a really nice nurse into helping me go see her. We had to get the IV pole, the catheter, and me onto a wheelchair. It was an experience.

I got into the nursery, and she was bruised on one side from the version and delivery. She had vacuum marks on her forehead and back of her head since she was posterior and wouldn’t come out, she had the IV in her little arm, and she had oxygen through her nose. She was trying really hard to breathe and you could see she was uncomfortable. She was absolutely precious.

I was able to hold her for the first time when she was 24 hours old.  I was sore, and the nurse kept telling me not to overstimulate her, and eventually told me I was done holding my child and put her back.

On Friday, her pediatrician told me that things weren’t looking good and she was almost to the maximum amount of oxygen a regular nursery can give an infant, and she was going to order a life flight to the NICU in St. George.

I was pretty calm and said to do what she needed to do. I called Blake, then we both broke down. We called family and everyone came down to support us.

She was life-flighted, and Blake’s mom drove us to St. George to see her. My parents drove over from Tropic as fast as they could. We got there barely before them.

We walked into the NICU and Glade was already set up and looked tons better. (St. George is 3000 ft lower than Cedar City, and just the elevation drop can do amazing things). She wasn’t as red, but she was still on high levels of oxygen. My milk came in that night and I had to pump every three hours, walk it downstairs to the NICU, put it in the fridge, sit and hold Glade for about an hour, go back to bed for an hour and do it all again.

On Saturday night they placed a feeding tube and slowly made her stomach larger. On Sunday, her stomach was the size they wanted, and even though she was still on oxygen, they let us start breastfeeding. The only problem was they refused to take the tube out, so she didn’t really want to suck since she was already getting food. So, we didn’t make much headway that day.

Monday, she was under the bili lights all day. She had a bili level of 18, so the lights made her too tired to nurse, but it was more important to get the level down before it reached transfusion level. She was still on a light flow of oxygen, but they were slowly turning it down.

Tuesday she pulled the feeding tube out herself and we were able to start nursing. The lactation consultant was really rough with us and while we were trying to latch on, she would tell us we weren’t doing it right. And I hated the football hold she was making us do.

She finally left and we were able to nurse successfully. Glade would always nurse in under 5 minutes, so to be able to leave, we had to lie and say she was nursing for at least 10 minutes every time. She was gaining weight, her diapers were always wet or dirty, and things were good, she was just a super fast eater.

On Wednesday, they told us she would be able to go home! We got her oxygen tanks to bring with us just in case of set back with the higher elevation, and we had a check up Friday to see her bili level and oxygen level.

She was amazing the second we got home. We took her off oxygen on Friday, and she has never needed any since. Even with her being early, she is now more advanced than kids 6 months older than her. It’s amazing to see her grow.

I would never survived with my sanity if the nurses at the NICU hadn’t been so great. They would sit and talk with me while I was holding Glade or if she was having a bad day so I wasn’t able to hold her. They helped me change her diapers while she was in the giraffe (the glass box they keep babies with problems in to keep their temperature up and to keep the germs out), and they explained how to do things while she had a million cords and plugs in. One particular nurse talked to me for 2 hours about how I am working through this. He was absolutely great. Without any of these people, I don’t think I would have been able to make it through.

But, the one thing I truly learned from this entire experience was that I wasn’t told anything that could happen. My midwife is still upset I couldn’t experience labor, but most people look at me and say, “But you have a healthy baby and that’s all that matters.”

To some people, that is truly the only thing that matters. I wanted to have the full experience of labor and delivery. It was taken away from me instead of trying other positions or tests to see if she was okay. Instead, they cut her out as fast as they could.

This is why I am such a fan of VBAC. I will have one!


4 Responses

  1. Thank you for sharing the birth of your daughter with us, she is such a little fighter.

    It is amazing how different the ECV is here, no epidural, no IV, no tool. We’ll have to talk about that more!

    It is great to hear she is perfect in every way. Your HBAC you shall have!

  2. She is such a little beauty, I forgot to mention. Look how perfect she was!

  3. I am amazed at what doctors and nurses will say to a women to get what they want. I am so glad she is here and healthy.

  4. I see a lot of interesting content on your page. You have to spend a lot of
    time writing, i know how to save you a lot of time, there is a tool that creates unique, SEO friendly posts in couple of seconds, just search in google
    – k2 unlimited content

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: